Whether you are new to yoga or a long-time fan, we invite you to celebrate National Yoga Month with us here at the FIT Tribe studios. We’re putting together special events and offering extra yoga sessions and can’t wait to share it with you. September was designated National Yoga Month by the Department of Health & Human Services as a way to educate people about the health benefits of yoga and to inspire a healthy lifestyle. Hundreds of community events are organized each year across the nation, and tens of thousands join in to learn about and share what they love about it.
We love yoga and couldn’t wait to do our part to share it with our FIT family.
Join us every Wednesday for yoga sessions at 10:00-11:00 a.m. and 7:30-8:30 p.m. for the month of September. We’ve also scheduled a special Family Yoga Day on September 9th at 8:30 a.m. and a Victory Vinyasa event with Terry Shorter on September 30 at 7:30 a.m.
If you’re unfamiliar with yoga, it’s much more than just an exercise class. Yoga has been practiced for centuries and is designed to generate greater clarity, balance, and harmony in life. For those unfamiliar with vinyasa yoga, it’s a gradual progression or step-by-step approach that systematically and appropriately takes a student from one point and safely lands them at the next point. It is sometimes described as the “breathing system,” or the union of breath and movement that make up the steps. For our special Victory Vinyasa event, each student will experience a sense of “Victory”, Empowerment, and Freedom when they take ownership of their yoga flow.
Yes, yoga is calming, improves flexibility, and even lowers blood pressure and heart rates. But there are a lot more health benefits than that when it comes to yoga that might surprise you, including:
- Better Sleep: Yoga eases stress, anxiety, depression, fatigue and insomnia
- Pain Relief: Studies have demonstrated that yoga can help reduce pain for people with auto-immune diseases, arthritis, back and neck pain, and other chronic conditions.
- Increased Strength: Yoga asanas (poses / postures) use every muscle in the body which helps to increase strength literally throughout the entire body.
- Weight Management: Yoga has been shown to help people achieve health weight levels by reducing cortisol (stress hormone) levels as well as burning calories and reducing stress. Yoga also encourages healthy eating habits and provides a heightened sense of well-being and self-esteem.
- Improved Circulation: For people with circulation problems, such as those with auto-immune disorders, the various poses during a yoga session help to improve circulation by helping move oxygenated blood more efficiently throughout the body.
- Cardio – yes, cardio! Even the most gentle of yoga classes can provide cardiovascular benefits by lowering a person’s resting heart rate, increasing endurance, and improving oxygen intake and circulation.
- Brain Boost: Yoga helps practitioners learn to focus on the present, be more mindful, and even improve concentration, coordination, reaction time and memory.
Yoga is a fantastic way to add variety to your fitness routine and support to your overall mind-body health. Whether you practice yoga at the gym, at home, or with thousands of people in the middle of Dodger Stadium (yes, there is a Dodger Yoga Day!) we invite you to get started with us here at FIT Tribe. Namaste!